Summer in Dallas can seem to last forever and just like we need to keep ourselves hydrated, we need to make sure our urban forest has the water it needs. However, tree watering can be challenging to do correctly. We made this guide to help you make sure you’re not watering too little (or too much!).
Watering your trees might sound unnecessary; isn’t that what their deep roots are for? However, roots only work if there is enough moisture in the ground to absorb. In a city setting, however, that often isn’t the case, and our urban trees are left thirsty in the Dallas heat.
With a large portion of the Southwest United States constantly struggling against drought, consistent and correct watering is key. But what does that mean? Is more better? How often and when? See our top tips below for answers to all of your Dallas tree care and watering questions.
Dallas Tree Care – Tip Top Tree Tips
At Texas Tree Surgeons we know that trees have specific needs, but those needs are often overlooked. If you want your trees to really thrive you need to have the right information. We have put together some important points to keep in mind:
- What time is best for tree watering? This is a great and common question we receive when working with Dallas tree care and watering, and it’s actually easy to remember! Only water with the rule of 8, meaning you can water before 8AM or after 8PM. Simple, right?
- What method is best for tree watering? This can be tricky, as many tree owners think that their sprinklers are enough, but if sprinklers provide the right amount of water for your small flowers and grass, how could it be enough for your trees too? Trees need a greater water source because they are larger. Use a soaker hose or garden hose for best results.
- What can I do to help trees retain moisture? Some people have asked what, in addition to watering, they can do to give their trees the upper hand against the Texas heat, and if there’s one thing Texas Tree Surgeons know how to do, it’s beat the heat. If you want the water you put in the ground to stay in the ground, consider mulching, as this helps trees retain moisture and regulates the evaporation. Check out our recent post on mulching!
- What should I avoid when watering my trees? Texas Tree Surgeons and our Dallas Tree Care Guide recommend never using herbicides on your lawn, or products (like fertilizers) high in nitrogen, as this can open the door to leaf-scald during drought conditions. Ask a certified arborist what soil amendments are right for your trees!
- What is the best way to water my trees? If you are going to use a garden hose to water your trees, make sure you follow these 3 Dallas tree care steps. 1) Place the hose 1-2 feet from the root flare. 2) Let the hose run at a volume that is flowing but not enough to puddle or stream away. 3) Soak the entire area under the canopy of the tree for best results. And of course, always remember to let the ground around your tree’s base completely dry between waterings.
Dallas Tree Care – Omens of Overwatering
Now that Texas Tree Surgeons has given you the Dallas Tree Care Guidelines for how to water your trees, it’s important to go over how NOT to water your trees. After all, too much water can actually drown your trees! See the 3 quickest signs of overwatering below, so you can be in the know.
- Check the top of the root ball to look for saturation – your foot should not sink below grade.
- Leaves of an overwatered tree may appear yellow or feel leathery.
- Leaves of an overwatered tree may be difficult to pull from the tree.
Just like with people, too much of a good thing is no longer good, so make sure you have the right moisture balance for your trees, just like you do for yourself.
Do You Have a Tree in Need of Dallas Tree Care?
We hope our Dallas Tree Care Guide to Tree Watering helped hydrate your knowledge and refresh your outlook on how to best care for your trees. At Texas Tree Surgeons, we truly believe that trees can become an important part of the community, and so it’s important to take care of them. Look here to see just how much of an impact a giant Pecan can have on a town!
If you think one of your trees might be in need of some assistance don’t hesitate to call, as Texas Tree Surgeons are here to help! We love all trees and would love to check yours out and make sure they are healthy, happy and thriving. Give us a call today at 469-387-6000!
UPDATE 9/2019 – As summer drags on, we often get questions about watering for other landscaping, not just trees, and we wanted to add a link to a comprehensive guide to watering and how to get the most out of your efforts. Thanks to Gary Ashton from Nashville, Tennessee, for the post!
At Texas Tree Surgeons, we love trees and we love our customers, and we want to give you all the tools and information you need to keep your plants healthy during our sweltering summers! As always, if you have any questions about proper tree watering, tree health care, or anything else about your trees, let us know!