It seems at times like there are as many tree care companies as there are trees. Sifting through the flyers, business cards, yard signs, and truck logos we see around North Texas can be overwhelming. However, whether you have many trees or just a few, it is always best to hire a tree trimming company that has ISA Certified Arborists on staff. Using a tree service with certified arborists is the easiest way to ensure that your trees are properly taken care of.
WHAT IS A CERTIFIED ARBORIST?
- ISA arborist certification indicates that an individual has demonstrated both experience in the field of tree care and knowledge of diseases, pests, environmental stressors, plant health care protocols, and other critical areas of arboriculture.
- ISA arborist certification is the international standard for the professional practice of tree care.
- To maintain ISA certification, arborists must participate in continuing education classes to ensure that they are using the latest in practices and procedures and must renew their credential every three years.
- Each ISA Certified Arborist has a unique certification number, tied to the state in which they were initially certified.
- Certification numbers and credentials can be verified online by visiting https://treesaregood.com.
- If a person claims to be a “certified arborist,” make sure to ask for their ISA number to check.
- In Texas, unlike some other states, there is no state licensing board for arborists, so beware of people claiming to be “Texas licensed arborists.”
WHAT IS AN ARBORIST?
- The word “arborist” can be used to identify individuals who perform any aspect of tree care: tree trimming, tree removal, plant health care, etc.
- In a broad sense, “arborist” can refer to anyone in the tree care field, like we might use “teacher” to refer generally to people who work in schools. However, just as not every school employee is trained to do the same things, not every tree service worker is equally qualified to perform every task.
- In many cases, the arborist (or sales arborist) is the person who comes out to initially assess the trees’ needs and prepare a work proposal.
- From that point, the arborist is the main point of contact for our customers, and coordinates with our operations manager to assign a crew, ensure the work is done properly, and answer any questions.
- Arborists are the key personnel for tree assessment, diagnosis, and customer communication.
What is a Board Certified Master Arborist?
Certification as a master arborist by the ISA Credentialing Board is reaching the pinnacle of the field of arboriculture.
- The ISA BCMA credential requires extensive experience in the tree service industry, as well as thorough knowledge of all aspects of tree care demonstrated through examination.
- As of 2020, fewer than two percent of all ISA Certified Arborists are BCMAs.
- To maintain this certification, BCMAs must complete continuing education courses and renew every three years.
- Certification status can be verified through https://treesaregood.com.
- The owner of Texas Tree Surgeons, Amy Langbein Heath, became an ISA Board Certified Master Arborist in 2018, and was the first woman to become a BCMA in Texas.
What is the ISA?
The International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) is dedicated to the promotion of the professional practice of arboriculture. The ISA is the premier education and certification authority for workers in the tree care field. In addition to serving tree care professionals, the ISA has extensive resources for tree owners. For more information about the ISA, visit their site at https://isa-arbor.com. If you are a tree owner, and want to find a certified arborist in your area or learn how you can better take care of your trees, visit https://treesaregood.com.
At Texas Tree Surgeons, we are happy to employ ISA Certified Arborists or, simply, “certified arborists.” All of our arborists are either certified by the ISA or are in training to become certified.
We currently have five ISA Certified Arborists on staff:
- Lindsey Brammer (TX-3729A)
- Andy Ferguson (TX-4060A)
- Emily Long (TX-4149A)
- Kelly Test (TX-4439A)
- Russell Wilson (TX-4598A)
Additionally, we have two ISA Board Certified Master Arborists on staff:
- Amy Langbein Heath, Owner (TX-3569B)
- Hannah Edinburgh (TX-3889B)